A glass door allows a lot of natural light to enter your room. Thus it helps to make your room lighted naturally. Again glass doors are inexpensive compared to solid doors.
So most of the homeowners prefer to use them. But it has a limitation. People can view everything inside through the glass, which affects their privacy.
So you must cover your glass door so no one can view what is happening. So how to cover the glass front door or privacy? Well, there are numerous ways by which you can cover the glass, like hanging curtains, drapes, or frosting the glass.
The article discusses various ways how to cover glass front door for privacy. So you can keep reading this article to learn different techniques or cover glass doors so that it will not affect your privacy.
How To Cover Glass Front Door For Privacy?
Privacy is one of the most important things you must consider when you are at home. Having privacy can help you to relax comfortably. It can even help you to keep away from prying eyes.
But having glass doors can pose a problem and compromise your privacy.
Below, We are discussing a few ways that may help cover the glass door and will not affect your privacy.
1. One-Way Privacy Film
You can cover your long glass doors with a one-way privacy film. It will allow you to see things outside, but people outside the door cannot view anything inside.
There are even other benefits of using one-way privacy films. It blocks the sun’s ultraviolet rays and protects your furniture and other delicate items inside the living room from fading. The one-way privacy film even helps prevent the temperature rise inside the room.
Thus it helps to maintain a cool environment in the summer season. One-way privacy film does not require any glue for application. It is pretty easy to install a one-way privacy film.
We have discussed a step-by-step guide on installing a one-way privacy film.
- Try to read the manual regarding installation.
- Clean your glass door thoroughly to remove dust and dirt. The glass must be completely smooth and free from blemishes.
- Cut the one-way privacy film according to the size of the glass door.
- Try to cut one inch extra from all sides of the one-way privacy film.
- Remove the backing liner.
- Try to spray some water on the static side of the film.
- Spray water on the glass door.
- Attach the film carefully to the glass door.
- Remove any air bubbles with a squeegee.
- Run the squeegee from the center to the edge and secure the film tightly.
- Cu the extra film
- You can remove the film anytime you like.
2. Install Curtains
Curtains and drapes are the most effective and inexpensive way to cover your glass door. The best thing is they are available in various colors and designs. So, you can purchase the one that matches the decor of your room.
Another great thing is that they are easy to install. Hanging drapes or curtains on a glass door will even allow natural light to enter your room whenever you like.
You can hang the curtains depending on your room’s type of glass door. If you have a French door-style glass door, hang curtains just above the glass panel.
If you have a wide glass door, it’s better to install a curtain rod just a few inches above the door.
We have discussed a step-by-step guide on easily installing curtains on glass doors. Let’s look at them below.
- Take the help of measuring tape to find out where you need to install rod brackets. It should be 4-5 inches above the glass door. Measure and mark with a pencil.
- The curtain needs to be tall enough so that the curtain will hover on the floor.
- Take a power drill and drill holes in the marked position.
- Screw the bracket
- Tight the screws of your bracket after seeing everything aligned at the carpenter’s level.
- Add your beautiful and colorful curtains on the rod and place the rod on the brackets which you have installed in the last step.
3. Use Blinds
Blinds are another effective way to cover your glass doors. They are available in various colors and designs; you can choose them according to your needs. You will find blinds that are made from either plastic or fabric. The fabric ones are easily washable when they get dirty.
We are discussing below various blinds that may help you buy.
You can use a roller if you want to lot of natural light in your home. The best thing about rollers is that you can fold them up and bring them down when required.
The best thing about Roman shades is that you can fold them in segments. You will find Roman shades in various colors and designs. So choose the one that will match the furniture and style of your room.
The shutter is another convenient way to add privacy. They are also available in different colors and designs. You can open the shutter when necessary.
4. Use Glass Paint
Painting glass door is the next way to cover your glass door. The time you require to paint a glass door depends on various factors like the glass size and the number of coatings you will decide to paint on the glass.
Glass paint is one of the permanent solutions for covering glass doors. It will even block the sun’s ultraviolet rays and help maintain a cool environment inside your home.
We have discussed a step-by-step guide on how to apply paint to your glass door.
- Your first step should be to clean the glass thoroughly to remove dust and dirt. You can clean your glass with a cotton cloth dipped in soap water. Wear gloves while cleaning the glass; otherwise, to may leave fingerprints.
- Cleaning the dust from the glass is essential; otherwise, the paint will not properly adhere to the glass.
- Glass is a nonporous object. It is hard for a nonporous object like glass to retain color. So you need to do the sanding. Try to sand the glass surface for a few minutes.
- You can then clean all the sanding dust with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
- Take masking tape and cover the glass panels properly to prevent paint splashes. Run the masking tape from top to bottom of the door. You must cut the masking tape where the glass panel touches the wood.
- Apply primer to adhere properly to the glass surface.
- Allow the primer to dry thoroughly.
- You can then apply the paint. Take your selected paint and paintbrush and paint the glass. Ensure to obey all the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Allow the coating to dry properly.
- Repeat the same process on the other side of the door.
- Apply the paint once again if required.
- You need to repaint the glass door within two to three years for effective results.
5. Frosted Glass
Frosted glass is one of the best solutions for the glass door. These glasses can give a good guarantee of privacy. You cannot view anything outside through the frosted glass. Simultaneously people cannot visualize indoor things.
If you have an ordinary glass door, you can replace it with frosted glass for privacy. But it will be pretty expensive to replace the frosted glass.
Well, there are some cheaper options to give a frosted effect to ordinary glass. For instance, you can prefer to use frosted films. They will add a royal touch to your house.
The best thing is that they are available in various colors and designs. So you can choose the one according to your preferences.
To install the frosted film, you have to follow the below procedures.
- Clean the glass thoroughly to remove dust and dirt.
- Cut the frosted film according to the glass door size.
- You can then attach it to the door.
- Try to use a card or squeeze to remove all the air bubbles.
You can even use frost glass spray paint on your ordinary glass door. It’s pretty simple to use. Follow the below procedures for using frost spray paint on glass doors.
- Clean the glass door and allow it to dry.
- Apply the frost spray paint on the glass door.
- Follow the guidelines of the manufacturer while applying frost glass spray paint. If you don’t follow it properly, it may damage your entire glass.
- You can apply the spray once again if required.
6. Hang Tall Shrubs Or Trees
You can plant some trees or shrubs on either side of the glass door to increase privacy, but you need to maintain the trees from time to time. Simultaneously you need to trim them in regular intervals.
7. Hang A Sheet Or Tapestry
If you are searching for a quick and affordable option to cover your glass doors, hang a sheet or tapestry. They come in various colors and designs and can increase your security and comfort.
You can easily remove them to shed light inside your house.
Also Read : How To Soundproof A Hollow Door
8. Window Film
Window film can be installed on the glass windows of your door to increase privacy. They are available in various sizes. You need to cut them according to the size of your glass window and then install them.
Certain window films can not only provide privacy but also block ultraviolet rays.
You can install the window film on both sides of the glass window to increase privacy.
Privacy is quite essential when you stay at home. But having large glass doors can decrease your privacy. People from outside can view what is happening inside your house, which you may not like. So you must think of various ways to cover the glass door so no one can view it.
Well, we have discussed eight ways on how to cover glass front door for privacy. You can choose any of them and try to cover your glass door to increase security. If you have any other ideas, then feel free to share ideas in the comment section.
Thank you for reading this article!
FAQ : How To Cover Glass Front Door For Privacy
Q1. How do you cover a glass window on the door?
Ans : You can cover glass windows on the door in numerous ways. For instance, you can use window film or apply frosted film on the glass. You can even hang curtains on the glass door to enhance your privacy.
Q2. How do you add privacy to clear glass?
Ans : Applying frost film on the clear glass can add privacy to your room. The film gives a glazing appearance and can block the view from both sides. However, it will allow natural light to enter the room.
Q3. How do you cover glass windows from sunlight?
Ans : You can cover glass windows from sunlight in numerous ways, like curtains, shades, shutters, etc.